← Local History
Gold Rush Era· 1849· Gold Rush & Mining
Gold on the Gravel Bars: Rose's Bar, Long Bar, and Parks Bar
The Mining Camps That Built Yuba County
The gravel bars of the Yuba River produced some of the richest gold deposits in California, drawing thousands of miners to camps like Rose's Bar, Long Bar, and Parks Bar.
The Yuba River earned its reputation as one of the richest gold-bearing streams in California not in its canyons, but on its wide gravel bars — flat deposits of river-worn rock that had concentrated gold over millennia. Three bars in particular became legendary: Rose's Bar, Long Bar, and Parks Bar.
Rose's Bar, located about 12 miles east of Marysville, was established in 1848 by John Rose, one of the earliest miners on the Yuba. The bar was remarkably productive; miners working the shallow gravels with pans and rockers consistently pulled ounces of coarse gold per day. A small town grew up around the diggings, complete with stores, a blacksmith, and the inevitable saloon. At its peak in 1849-1850, several hundred miners worked the bar and its vicinity.
Long Bar, stretching for nearly a mile along the river between Rose's Bar and Parks Bar, was one of the most extensive mining operations on the Yuba. The bar was so large that multiple mining companies operated simultaneously along its length. Contemporary accounts describe daily yields that made ordinary laborers wealthy overnight. The Long Bar Mining Company later attempted large-scale river diversion to reach deeper deposits, foreshadowing the industrial mining that would follow.
Parks Bar, named for an early miner, sat at a dramatic bend in the Yuba River. A daguerreotype from 1852 — one of the earliest photographs of gold mining in California — captures the scene: dozens of miners working the river with pans, long toms, and sluice boxes, surrounded by canvas tents and rough timber structures. That photograph, now in the California State Library collection, remains one of the most important visual records of the Gold Rush.
By 1853, most surface gold on the bars was exhausted. Some miners moved upstream to harder-rock country. Others turned to increasingly destructive techniques. The bars themselves were eventually buried under hydraulic mining debris, their original contours lost beneath tons of sediment.
Places
From the archive
Source: Excelsior Project; eTerritorial Dispatch; Calisphere - Parks Bar 1852